Madisonville Community College Honors Program
- ACT English and Reading scores of 23 or higher on the ACT or 90th percentile in comparable placement tests.
- High school GPA of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
Students who do not meet the above criteria may still be considered for admission to the Honors Program. These students should submit:
- Letter that explains your interest in the MCC Honors Program.
- Letter of reference from someone who can attest to your intellectual potential, curiosity, and willingness to learn.
- Interview with the Honors Program Coordinator.
Current MCC students or transfer students may also be eligible for admission to the program if they meet the following requirements:
- Minimum college GPA of 3.5 or higher with at least 12 college credit hours.
- Letter of interest.
- Letter of reference.
- Interview with Honors Program Coordinator.
Once admitted to the Honors Program, students are expected to do the following:
- Maintain at least a 3.0 GPA.
- Enroll in at least 6 college credit hours each semester.
- Complete at least 18 credit hours in Honors courses before graduation.
Program Description: The Honors Program at Madisonville Community College is designed to provide opportunities for students to nurture their intellectual curiosity by working closely with faculty and other students. Smaller classes, taught in a shared inquiry format, will enable the students to learn from one another as well as from highly motivated faculty members. The program encourages students to set ambitious goals for themselves and to participate actively in their own learning, both in and out of class. The program stresses high-level critical thinking, critical inquiry and ethical decision-making, excellent research skills, polished written and verbal communication, and creativity.
- Smaller class sizes.
- Honors recognition at graduation.
- Honors designation on transcripts.
- Opportunities to work closely with faculty on individualized research projects.
- Sense of community with other students who share a love of learning.
- Enhanced transfer preparation and transfer scholarships.
- Scholarship support opportunities.
Mission Statement: The Honors Program at Madisonville Community College provides an opportunity for intellectually curious and motivated students to learn from a carefully selected group of caring and motivated faculty members. The program offers students smaller classes in which they are encouraged to help design their own learning experiences through a “shared inquiry” format with faculty members and with one another. Classes specifically designed with honors students in mind will allow these emerging scholars to complete their general education requirements while also creating research interests and capstone projects that appeal to them and could become the basis for future university honors coursework. The program also seeks to foster a sense of community and belonging amongst its students. Scholars in the program will be encouraged to develop critical thinking, research, and ethical decision-making skills not only through classroom experiences but also extracurricular activities and travel.
For More Information:
Dr. Mary Werner, Honors Program Coordinator
Office 101 F, Learning Resource Center
(270) 824-8691 firstname.lastname@example.org