Preparing to Transfer
Transferring to a four-year school can seem like a mysterious process, but it s really quite simple. It actually mirrors the process you went through when you applied to Madisonville Community College.
When researching schools, you may find the college's catalog helpful. A college or university catalog lists every degree program that the institution offers along with all courses required and any admission requirements. The catalogs for most four-year colleges and universities are accessible on their websites. Even if you use a transfer guide, you must also use a catalog, or you might miss important information.
For a list of catalogs at all colleges nationwide, please see http://www.collegesource.org.
Choosing a School
Take a day to go and visit the school(s) you are interested in. You will get the most service and best experience if you call ahead to the admissions office a couple of weeks in advance to set up your day on campus.
- Take a copy of your transcripts and anything else you think may be helpful
- Ask for a campus tour
- Ask for parking directions and a visitor s parking pass
- Ask to visit with an admissions counselor
- Ask to speak with a financial aid counselor (don t forget to ask about scholarship opportunities!)
- Ask to speak with an advisor in your area of interest (make sure you get all program specific info you need)
- Ask to attend a class in your major
- Ask to view the dorms that you might be assigned to
- If it s on a weekend, ask if they can provide you with tickets to a ballgame
- Ask about discount rates for local hotels if you have to spend the night
Completing the Transfer
Apply for Admission
Contact the school you want to transfer to for specific requirements for admission. Most schools require the following:
- Admission application
- Transcripts from all colleges attended (including MCC). These must be official transcripts, meaning they are sent directly from school to school.
- ACT scores if transferring with less than 24 credit hours (excluding developmental work).
- High school transcripts only if transferring with less than 24 credit hours.
- Any other materials required for selective admission programs.
Schools have different deadlines for admission, so contact your school for the correct deadline.
After you have applied, you will receive a letter of acceptance which will tell you when to come to campus to register. Usually, there will be an orientation day on which you will learn about the campus, meet with an advisor in your major who will help you plan your schedule and actually register. You may receive a copy of your transcript evaluation (credit that school will award you based on your work here at MCC or any other colleges) during the advising conference as well.
Apply for Housing
Even if you are planning to live off-campus, you are encouraged to apply for housing. You never know if your plan will fall through, and you do not want to be without housing when school starts.
Schools offer single, family and single parent housing options. Each school will provide you with a brochure describing all of their housing.
Usually housing plans come with a mandatory meal plan. This means you will deposit a set amount of money (usually $500 per semester) for you to draw from a debit card for meals at the various campus cafeterias and vending machines.
Fill out and sign the contract for housing. You will also be required to send in a deposit. The deposit will be refundable until sometime in the summer. Complete this process soon, to ensure you have a spot.
There are several ways to obtain a transcript of your coursework at Madisonville Community College. The following fees apply to transcript requests:
- Mailed to you or directly to the institution: $5.00 (allow up to 10 business days for delivery)
- On demand (in person): $7.00
- Faxed to you or directly to the institution: $10.00
Note that all KCTCS colleges ave access to view or print any KCTCS transcripts. Please do not request a KCTCS transcript to be sent to another KCTCS college. Also note that transcripts cannot be released if a financial hold has been placed on your account. This hold must be resolved before a transcript request will be processed.
Request a Transcript Online
Madisonville Community College has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide transcript ordering via the web. You can order transcripts using any major credit card. Your card will only be charged after your order has been completed.
- To order an official transcript(s) login to the National Student Clearinghouse secure site
- The site will walk you through placing your order, including delivery options and fees. You can order as many transcripts as you like in a single session. Base cost is $5.00 per transcript with a $2.25 per transaction processing fee.
- Transcripts will be processed by our office 3-5 days after the order is received.
Request a Transcript in Person
Transcripts can be requested in person by coming to the Records Office (John H. Gray Enrollment Center at the North Campus. Transcripts to be mailed or picked up within two business days are $5.00 per copy. Transcripts processed immediately are $7.00 per copy.
If you have questions or need further assistance, please contact Lindsay Thomas.
MCC Records Office