What is Business Administration?
Our vision is to provide a premier learning experience in business that emphasizes student-centered learning and an entrepreneurial mindset which involves innovative thought and openness to new ideas.
A business degree is one of the most sought-after degrees, preparing students for career opportunities in both the public and private sectors. Students will gain an appreciation and understanding of the ever changing environment in which a business operates and the problems that a manager might face, from marketing and accounting to management and human resources. Madisonville Community College has adapted our program to industry demands to better prepare our students to gain access to four-year degree programs and create a solid foundation for a career in business.
Through our unique hands-on approach to business studies, our goal is to prepare you to be an independent thinker with the skills necessary to analyze information to make sound decisions based on data and projections. Our degree will ensure that you develop the skills to:
- Assess business opportunities
- Think critically and creatively
- Communicate decisions effectively
- Monitor the impact of business decisions
- Become a successful business leader
Business Synergy Lab
Our mission is to place the Business Synergy Lab at the center of our community's small business outreach programs and to be the hub of our business students' educational activities inside and outside of the classroom. We are committed to offering a challenging academic curriculum that provides personalized attention, enhances lifelong learning, values creativity and innovation, and nurtures professionalism, social responsibility and integrity.
If you would like more information please feel free to contact me any time.
The Business Administration program prepares you for a variety of business careers. The business core curriculum provides a foundation of knowledge applicable to any business career. The Business Administration program is designed for those seeking entry-level jobs as well as currently employed individuals seeking to enhance their skills. Students select an area of specialty from one of four options: accounting, human resource management, management, and office systems.
What are my career choices?
The accounting option leads to careers in accounting including bookkeeper, accounting clerk, cost payroll clerk, and positions using computer-based systems. The management option prepares you with broad-based management knowledge and skills which lead to a variety of positions in organizations. The office systems option prepares you with a broad base of knowledge and skills needed for a variety of positions in an office with an emphasis in word processing and related software applications. The human resource management option prepares you for entry-level positions in the human resources field and related occupations.
Other Diplomas and Certificates:
- The Small Business Management diploma/certificate curricula is designed to prepare students for the position of entrepreneur and business owner and offers the prospective business owner the fundamentals of starting and operating a business.
- The Business Transfer and Advanced Business Administration certificates are designed to be building blocks to complete the Associate in Applied Science Degree, and Business Administration Core courses.
- The Business Transfer certificate is designed to provide the business transfer student an exit point by offering business preparation courses that will transfer to a four year institution.
- The Financial Perspective certificate prepares the student for entry level positions in accounting, financial services and small business management.
- The General Business certificate prepares the students for a variety positions in supervision, management and general business.
- The Leadership certificate enables the student to qualify for leadership positions, work effectively in teams, lead problem solving work groups, understand the conflict resolution processes and plan effectively.
- The Organization Leadership diploma curriculum is designed to prepare students to manage a department or to become team leaders in team-based or self-managed organizations.
- The Sales certificate prepares the student for a career in sales.
- The Supervisory Management certificate prepares the students in the field of front-line supervision.
What are my degree, diploma, or certificate options?
Associate in Applied Science (AAS)
- Accounting Track
- Human Resource Management Track
- Management Track
- Organizational Leadership
- Small Business Management
- Accounting Recordkeeping Specialist
- Advanced Business Administration
- Business Transfer
- Financial Perspectives
- General Business
- Human Resource Management
- Logistics Operations
- Logistics Quality Operations
- Payroll Accounting Specialist
- Public Leadership
- Pre-Licensing Real Estate
- Real Estate Residential Real Estate
- Small Business Management
- Social Media Marketing
- Supervisory Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Supply Chain Specialist
- Team Leadership
For a printable copy of program course requirements, consult the Madisonville Advising Plan.
This program has no special admission requirements. Please consult MCC's general admission requirements.
Length of Program
You can earn an associate in applied science degree in 61-67 credit hours depending on the degree option.
This information should not be considered a substitute for the KCTCS Catalog. You should always choose classes in cooperation with your faculty advisor to ensure that you meet all degree requirements.