RISE - New Student Support Program Offered in Spring 2013
A new support program for first-time, full-time minority students will be offered
in the spring 2013 semester. The RISE (Retain, Integrate, Support, Educate) student
success program is geared toward reassuring first-time, full-time minority student
success by helping students through their college experiences in addition to providing
RISE program benefits for participants are:
- Receive a free student mentor to help them navigate through college.
- Develop a sense of belonging within the college.
- Increase curricular and co-curricular collaborative interactions with other students, faculty and staff.
- Improve knowledge and skills related to career opportunities.
- Improve critical thinking and collaborative problem solving skills.
- Experience a higher level of satisfaction with their college experience.
RISE is also looking for student mentors to work with first-year students meeting individually, participating in team-building activities, interactive group events, and topical discussions. RISE mentors can gain experience in leadership and service plus enrich their abilities to work with a diverse student population. As an added bonus, each RISE mentor will receive a scholarship for participation!
Mentor requirements are:
- 2.50+ overall GPA
- Must be a 3rd semester (or higher) student
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of MCC programs and organizations
- Be self-motivated
- Must attend mentor training
Mentor responsibilities include:
- Coordinate one participant activity per month
- Provide relevant program information to participants
- Help participants become familiar with college resources
- Meet individually with participants once a month
- Attend periodic meetings with RISE program staff and submit monthly reports to the director
For additional information about the RISE program or becoming a RISE mentor, contact Silas Matchem, Sr. (email@example.com).
Mentor application packets can be picked up at MCC Admissions Office; application
deadline is January 25, 2013.