Work and Learn
The Work and Learn program is essential to the success of low-income students to help them overcome barriers and start a career path to establish the tools required for a better future. It is designed to promote the success of Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program (KTAP) recipients in adult basic education who are in the process of earning a General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or high school graduates needing basic skills remediation prior to enrolling in college. Students gain work experience while earning a salary that will not reduce their K-TAP income.
The program is a collaboration between the Kentucky Community and Technical College System (KCTCS) and the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services.
The Work and Learn case manager provides eligible students with:
- Career counseling, advising and mentoring
- Referrals to community resources
- Job placement that meets KTAP work component requirements
- Job readiness, life skills, and academic success training
- Paid work experience with both private and non-profit employers
- Assistance with admissions and financial aid for students transitioning to MCC.
To be eligible for Work and Learn you must:
- Be working toward a GED at a Kentucky Adult Education site, or
- Possess a high school diploma and need basic skills remediation before entering college
- Be a current KTAP recipient
The Work and Learn case manager can work with local DCBS case workers to help participants gain access to resources for transportation, child care, work clothing, and a one-time graduation bonus of $250 once you have obtained your GED.
For more information, contact:
Director of Adult Education
Madisonville Community College
2000 College Drive
Madisonville KY 42431