ConceptKCTCS/KCTCSConcept Disability Services FAQ | Madisonville Community College

Disability Services FAQ

What is considered a disability?

The ADA defines a disability as a condition that substantially limits a major life activity (such as walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, and learning). 

Below are examples of some disabilities that might impact a student.

  • Learning Disabilities
  • Psychiatric disorders
  • Visual Impairments
  • Hard of Hearing
  • Deafness
  • Brain Injuries
  • Spinal Cord Injuries
  • Loss of limbs
  • Severe orthopedic injuries
  • Cancer
  • Cerebral palsy
  • Diabetes
  • Any type of chronic illness (epilepsy, HIV/AIDS, heart problems)

Students with temporary disabilities such as a broken arm may also be eligible for services.  Contact the Disability Resource Office if you are unsure you meet the definition of disability.

How do I request services?

Request for services is separate from the application process.  To be eligible to receive services, make an appointment with the Disability Resource Office as soon as possible.  You will be asked to provide documentation of your disability but it is not necessary to have it at the initial meeting.

You can make an appointment by calling the Disability Resource Manager, Rachel Sandberg, at 270-824-1708270-824-1708, 270-824-8641270-824-8641or by e-mail at  The office is located at 139 John H Gray building.

What services are available?

Services (accommodations) are determined on an individual basis.  These are some of the accommodations that have been provided but there may be others not on the list.

  • Test in a distraction reduced environment
  • Extra time on exams and quizzes
  • Extended time for in class assignments
  • Textbooks in alternate format
  • Enlargements
  • Permission to audio record lectures
  • Equipment rental – digital recorders, Smart Pens, Assistive Listening Devices, etc.
  • Use of specialized software - screenreaders, ZoomText
  • Advising services

What documentation should I provide?

Documentation varies depending on the disability.  Below are some general documentation guidelines.  Individualizes Education Plans (IEP’s), 504 Plans, or Transitions Plans often are not sufficient to document a disability.  However, they may be useful for providing a history of effective accommodations.  Please do not let lack of documentation prevent you from seeking services.

Documentation should:

  • Be on official letterhead of the diagnosing professional (not scribbled on a prescription slip)
  • Can be in the form of a letter or an evaluation report
  • Must be from a licensed and/or certified professional who is qualified to diagnosis the disability
  • May include recommendations for accommodations and how the disability impacts the student
  • Is confidential and does not become part of a student’s permanent records

You do not have to provide new documentation every semester but you must confirm accommodations with the Disability Resource Office every semester.

Related Links & Resources

Does MCC provide students with any software accommodations?

Yes. MCC provides a complete copy of Read & Write Gold assistance software for students to download and use.